*IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BEING ON OUR WAITLIST, PLEASE READ THIS PAGE THOROUGHLY*
Our hedgehog adoption application is linked below.
1. Our babies are raised in our home and handled daily. All meet ups/pick ups are done by appointment only. We do not have a storefront, as we are not a pet store, and we do have jobs, school, etc. If you are not local, we do use transporters who provide ground shipping within the US. We only ship to states where hedgehogs are legal to have as pets. Hedgehogs are ILLEGAL to own as pets in CA, GA, NYC, Washington, DC, HI, and PA.
2. You will need to provide your own carrier for travel when you pick up your hedgehog. We can bring you a small carrier if needed; they are $10. Please let us know within 48 hours if you will need one.
3. We ask that babies be picked up within 7 days of the ready date. If you cannot pick up your hedgehog within 7 days, payment in full is due to continue to hold the baby, plus a boarding fee of $5 per day. If balances are not paid and we have not heard from you in that 7 day time frame, you will forfeit your deposit and the hold on the baby will be dropped, so the baby can find a new home. Please contact us ASAP if you have any issues or questions.
4. Babies who are not yet ready to go home can be reserved with a $50 NON-REFUNDABLE deposit. Payment is expected in full within 7 days of their take home ready date or the deposit will be forefeited and the baby will be listed as available for adoption. Babies and adults that are ready to go must be paid for in full at pick up.
5. If you need your baby shipped, (via ground transport) you must tell me when you reserve your baby, and transport payment (typically $200-$250) is due AT THAT TIME, with your deposit, so I can book your spot with the transporter. The final balance is due before the baby is sent with the transporter. If balance is not paid, that baby will not be sent on transport.
*A NOTE ABOUT TRANSPORT*
Ground transporting, no matter who the company is, it is not always a quick process. Sometimes you have to wait a few weeks or a month before a route develops. It is door to door shipping. The other thing to note is that when your baby is being delivered, you are at their mercy as far as day and time go, and when they say they will be there, someone must be home to receive the hedgehog. You will have advanced notice when that day and time is, but you do not get to choose it. Sometimes it can be late at night, and sometimes there are route or timing delays. You will be updated as soon as information is
available. TRANSPORTERS ARE A THIRD PARTY, AND AFTER THE HEDGEHOG LEAVES OUR CARE WE ARE NO LONGER RESPONSIBLE FOR ISSUES THAT MAY ARISE. Personal pickup is always preferred.
6. All babies sold by Hedgehaus Hedgehogs are sold as PETS ONLY and do NOT have breeding rights. We do NOT sell opposite gender hedgehogs to the same pet home. We only work with established breeders that we know. If you are a new breeder, please message us ONLY if you have a mentor with established herd initials via NAHHI or The Hedgie List that we can reach out to.
7. Pricing is determined by color and markings. (See our Instagram page for examples of different colors!) Prices start at $250 for standard browns/greys and go up, depending on their color and markings. If you are looking for something specific, let me know!
8. Payments are accepted via Zelle and cash only. We do not accept checks or money orders. If you have never used Zelle, it is a money transfer service similar to Venmo or PayPal, and you can download
their app via the Apple Store or the Google Play Store.
9. We offer a 6 month health guarantee. We do recommend that you take your baby to the vet for a regular check up within 14 days, as you would any pet. Your hedgehog is guaranteed to be in good health, free of disease and parasites at the time of purchase to the best of our knowledge. If there are any issues with your baby, or the baby passes away within that 6 months, (with veterinary documentation) we will offer a replacement as soon as another baby is available. This guarantee does NOT apply to accidental death or injury; any treatable or communicable diseases; illness or injury due to improper care or diet; or anything caused by negligence or abuse. Hedgehaus Hedgehogs is not responsible for any veterinary costs.
10. We also offer a lifetime warranty against Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome, often abbreviated as WHS. WHS _CANNOT_ be diagnosed until after the animal has passed, via necropsy. If a necopsy is performed and the veterinarian emails us a copy of the findings confirming WHS, we will replace your hedgehog as soon as a baby is available. We do not offer refunds.
The actual cause of WHS is still unknown. It is unknown if it is due to diet, environment, or genetics, or even a combination. MANY ailments can mimic WHS, and sadly many vets are not well versed in hedgehog care, but they DO know about WHS so they are quick to diagnose a hedgie with it, when it could have something as simple as an ear infection, or even just being cold. Please do not accept a diagnosis of WHS while your hedgehog is alive. Even if you suspect it, you can't confirm it until a post-mortem exam has been performed. For more information on WHS, please read the following article.
Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome (WHS): a review of knowledge and some practical suggestions about differential diagnosis by JAKUB J. RUSZKOWSK
11. Baby hedgehogs go through many changes during their early life, so we cannot guarantee color and temperament, despite being handled daily and socialized. Hedgehogs are prey animals, so they are naturally timid creatures, and you must learn to earn their trust with patience and consistent handling, even the most sociable animals, since you are new and unknown to them.
12. Return Policy - NO refunds will be given, NO exceptions. Adopting a new pet is not a decision that should be made lightly, so we do not offer refunds.
13. If you have any questions about your hedgehog, please contact us. We will ALWAYS take back one of our babies no matter what, at no cost to surrender, but we cannot offer financial compensation for that
14. One of the biggest benefits of adopting your pet hedgehog from Hedgehaus Hedgehogs, is that we offer *lifetime support* for your hedgehog. This means, for the entirety of your hedgehog's lifetime, (and even then some) you can ask us questions about your baby anytime! We are happy to help in any way that we are able to. We have loved these babies since they were born, and want to make sure they have the best lives possible.
15. We reserve the right to refuse sale to any individual or entity.
16. Our policies are subject to change at any time without notice.
17. Our waitlist is free to join with an approved application. Adopters on the wait list get to choose their babies first, before they are offered to the public. When babies are 4 weeks old, we take pics and post them on our page for wait listers. We will let you know in advance when that will be. Reservations/deposits are accepted on a first come, first serve basis. You will have 24 hours to make your choice. Any remaining babies will be available to the public.
By submitting your application, you are agreeing to these policies.
Fill out the adoption application here!